Mary Kay Inc. Advocates Advancing Women’s Economic Empowerment and Gender Equality Through Series of Landmark Commitments and Partnerships Around the World | national news
DALLAS – (BUSINESS WIRE) – July 20, 2021–
Mary Kay Inc., a global advocate for women’s empowerment and entrepreneurship, reinforced its commitment to advancing gender parity by issuing a position paper welcoming the European Commission’s Gender Equality Strategy for 2020-2025 and by joining the Global Action Coalitions of the Generation Equality Forum.
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of Change” program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 – July 2). (Graphic: Mary Kay Inc.)
The position paper, accessible here, echoes the European Union’s strategy on equality between women and men. According to the European Union: “The strategy sets out political goals and actions to make significant progress by 2025 towards a gender-equal Europe. The goal is a Union where women and men, girls and boys, in all their diversity, are free to follow the path they have chosen in life, have equal opportunities to flourish and can also participate and lead our European society. “
“Discriminatory laws, gender bias and stereotypes, violence against women and girls – these are all global issues and must be addressed in partnership with the public and private sectors and civil society organizations around the world”, said Julia Simon, Legal and Diversity Director. at Mary Kay. “Achieving gender equality is essential to the survival of the planet and to rebuilding more sustainable and prosperous economies and societies. “
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of Change” program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 – July 2). 26 years after the Beijing Declaration, the Generation Equality Forum, organized by UN Women and co-organized by the governments of Mexico and France, was “the most critical moment in a generation to invest in gender equality. gender and accelerate momentum for women’s security, leadership and economic opportunity 1 ”.
Julia Simon participated in a panel titled “Building a Transformative Strategy for Gender Responsive Purchasing”, aimed at raising awareness of disproportionately complex and interconnected barriers to female entrepreneurship and promoting gender responsive purchasing. Globally, 1 in 3 businesses are owned by women 2, but women earn only 1% of procurement spending from governments and large corporations.3 Speakers shared concrete ideas and advice backed by their own path on the implementation of a GRP strategy.
At the Paris Forum, Mary Kay also joined four of the Generation Equality action coalitions through political, programmatic and advocacy engagements: Justice and Economic Rights; Feminist action for climate justice; Gender-based violence and innovation and technology. 50,000 people virtually engaged in the Forum, which brought together 1,000 members, recorded 40 billion dollars in investments in favor of gender equality in support of a five-year plan to act for equality in 6 areas of ‘action.
These pledges are the latest in a series of Mary Kay advocacy efforts for women’s economic empowerment and gender equality at high-level gatherings around the world alongside its UN partners. United Nations and its local strategic partners.
- On March 16, 2021, Mary Kay COO Deborah Gibbins joined the United Nations Global Compact on Gender Equality meeting to discuss how Mary Kay empowers women entrepreneurs in nearly 40 countries . Gibbins pointed to data recently released by the World Bank 4 showing that on average around the world, women have three quarters of men’s legal rights. She challenged businesses to take a stand against legal discrimination and advocate for reforms to close the gaps so that women can reach their full potential. The event brought together over 5,000 people from business, the United Nations, Member States and civil society organizations from over 100 countries, with 75% of attendees representing the private sector.
- On March 24, 2021, on the sidelines of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW65), Gibbins participated in a panel organized by the Women’s Empowerment Accelerator (WEA) entitled “Women Leading Economic Recovery Through Entrepreneurship” where she highlighted the need public-private partnerships to help shape an ecosystem favorable to women entrepreneurs. Launched by Mary Kay in collaboration with 5 United Nations agencies, The Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator was presented as an example of the unique impact of multi-partnership in accelerating change.
- From March 26 to April 4, Edita Szabóová, Managing Director of Mary Kay Czech Republic and Slovakia, delivered her remarks at the Equal Pay Day conference where she highlighted the importance of “women who support women” and highlighted Mary Kay’s work for women. entrepreneurs through training, leadership and mentoring. “When women come together, we can do amazing things for the benefit of women and humanity in general. Because we know that if we lift one, we lift everything. Basically, Mary Kay develops and trains entrepreneurs who in turn start their own businesses and write their own stories and legacies for their daughters, ”Szabóová said.
- From June 15-16, 2021, at the United Nations Global Compact Leaders Summit, Gibbins spoke at the main stage session “Women in Sustainable Development: Innovating in a Man’s World”, advocating for women entrepreneurs as necessary models for the economy and society. She also underlined the essential mission of the women’s entrepreneurship accelerator launched by Mary Kay with 5 United Nations partner agencies: UN Women, the United Nations Global Compact, the International Trade Center, the International Labor Organization and the United Nations Development Program. The Accelerator is committed to educating and empowering 5 million women entrepreneurs over the next 10 years. “Women entrepreneurship will play a key role in the success of the recovery from the pandemic. This is why the mission of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator is so timely. And that’s why women entrepreneurs need a framework of this magnitude, ”Gibbins said. The annual summit brought together nearly 25,000 business, government, UN and civil society leaders to take stock of progress and take collective action to mitigate the climate crisis , the global pandemic, economic disparities and social inequalities.
- On July 6, in Yekaterinburg, Mary Kay joined the INNOPROM-2021 International Industry Fair, the main industrial, trade and export platform in Russia. Guest speaker at a panel organized by UN Women titled “UN Women Programs for the Promotion and Development of Gender Based Entrepreneurship,” Mary Kay underlined the critical importance of gender responsive procurement strategies. and stressed that the pandemic also offers a unique opportunity to move forward. action and support women’s businesses around the world.
One of the first glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her beauty business almost 58 years ago with three goals: to develop rewarding opportunities for women, to deliver compelling products and to make the world a better place. That dream has grown into a multi-billion dollar business with millions of independent sales force members in nearly 40 countries. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and making cutting-edge skin care, color cosmetics, nutritional supplements and fragrances. Mary Kay is committed to empowering women and their families by partnering with organizations around the world, focusing on supporting cancer research, protecting survivors of domestic violence, beautifying our communities and by encouraging children to make their dreams come true. Mary Kay Ash’s original vision continues to shine, one lipstick at a time. Learn more at www.marykay.com
4 Women, Business and the Law, 2021. A report produced in 190 countries.
MEDIA CONTACT: Mary Kay Inc. Corporate Communications
KEYWORD: AUSTRALIA / OCEANIA UNITED STATES FRANCE NORTH AMERICA ASIA PACIFIC EUROPE TEXAS
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: PUBLIC POLICY / GOVERNMENT WOMEN OTHER POLICY ISSUES CONSUMER COSMETICS CATALOG OTHER CONSUMERS DETAIL
Copyright Business Wire 2021.
PUB: 07/20/2021 09:03 am / DISC: 07/20/2021 09:03 am
Copyright Business Wire 2021.